Sunday 13 December 2015

♡ Favourite Christmas Films ♡

みなさん、こんにちは!

I'm starting with something simple to get the ball rolling with my Christmas blog posts, and where is the best place to start for a former film studies student? Christmas movies!! 
There are so many amazing aspects of this holiday, but I definitely feel less guilty watching a Christmas themed movie at this time of year... even though I do watch these particular kind of films all year round *cough* But, they just get you in the right mood for celebrating! 
The Grinch (2000)
If you've never watched 'The Grinch', then you can march yourself out of my blog right now! No, but seriously. This film is amazing and a perfect Christmas film. Dr Seuss was an extremely talented author and his children's books are (almost) legendary. I even read as many of his books, as I can, at work to the children because... well even they need to know of his work. I can't wait to introduce him to my baby cousin when she gets a little bit older to understand and maybe next Christmas, she'll watch The Grinch with me!

The Muppet's Christmas Carol (1992)
Charles Dickens wrote 'A Christmas Carol' around the time Christmas was being explored differently in the United Kingdom, and I bet he'd never imagined that his book would be expressed in so many different ways almost 150 years later! The Muppets version of 'A Christmas Carol' is what introduced me to his work... I only vaguely remember it coming out as I was 3 years old back in 1992 but I appreciated it more as I got older. I adore the balance of serious yet comical storytelling, and The Muppets never fail in going a bit off in the wrong direction when telling a story!

Jingle All The Way (1996)
Ahhh... who can resist a corny Schwarzeneggar movie? I think I've seen all the 'bad' ones such a 'Junior', 'Twins' and 'Kindergarten Cop'... so it's no exception to miss out 'Jingle All The Way'! Based on real life events when a popular toy is sold out in stores, this film shows the dedication a father will go to to get the IT toy for his son. I have no clue why this film received a lot of negative feedback... they're all silly for that! Just watch it for the Schwarzeneggar silliness please, please, please!

Scrooged (1988)
This is an extremely good modernised version of 'A Christmas Carol'... well it is to me! I've always had a soft spot for films made in the 80s/90s and this one is no exception. It also has some references to the infamous 'Ghostbusters' that came out four years previous to this one, and of course, this film stars Bill Murray as well. I really recommend this film to anyone and everyone, just for a bit of a giggle around the holiday season.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)
Well it wouldn't be a Christmas movie list without some form of Home Alone on it... but it's certainly not the first one! I have never hid the fact that, and I really do, prefer the second film of this franchise to the first one because, and again my opinion, I feel that it's just that little bit funnier than the first one, especially with the two thieves and them getting beaten up and out witted by a child.

And voila! My favourite Christmas films! I didn't add any more because there are so, so, so many out there (TV movies and general, big shot, movies) to choose from. My mum is really surprised though, that I don't have 'It's A Wonderful Life' or 'Holiday Inn' or 'White Christmas' on my list, because she knows how much of a Classical Hollywood cinema fanatic I am... but hah! Wait...

Thanks for reading!
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. My favourite Christmas film is... Gremlins!! XD


    SAMI★SPOON

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sami; OH YOU! Why doesn't that surprise me actually?!?!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete